Teacher Recommendation Form
The mission of E-Family worldwide is to foster teen-to-teen mentoring via the internet by creating an e-family of “brothers” and “sisters.” Its vision is building friendships and empowering youth to effect social change through innovative solutions to global challenges.
E-Family Worldwide Rules:
1. The mentor will restrict himself/herself to the following topics of conversation (included in the electronic library of resource materials) and will obtain the approval of the E-family Worldwide team if he/she wishes to add any others:
- School activities (academics, sports, arts, music, dance, theatre)
- International events (e.g., those reported in newspapers or discussed at Model United Nations Conferences)
- Global challenges (e.g., poverty, conflict, and environment, including from such sources as The Economist, National Geographic)
- Solutions to global challenges
- Social innovation/social entreprenuership (new ways of addressing old problems based, e.g., on literarture by Bill Drayton’s Ashoka, which focuses on making “everyone a changemaker” and demonstrates how each one of us can drive social change and lead meaningful lives)
- Inspirational stories relating to the lives of World leaders (e.g., Churchill, Gandhi, Martin Luther King)
- Motivational quotes (e.g., “It is better to have failed than not to have tried,” “Tomorrow begins today”)
- Inspirational books (e.g., “Gifted Hands” by Ben Carson) with the opportunity to also form book clubs
- Learned optimism and positive psychology (e.g., literature based on learned optimism by Prof. Martin Seligman at the University of Pennsylvania which teaches how to react to events in ways that enhance ones confidence in one’s own abilities rather than giving up)
2. The mentor will conduct respectful conversations with the buddy and the E-family Worldwide team at all times, never using bad language, hurtful words, or criticizing others
3. The mentor will display cultural sensitivity at all times
4. The mentor will not ask for/take cash, gifts, or any other material items from the buddy or the e-family Worldwide team
5. The mentor will not to hold the buddy or the E-family Worldwide team responsible for any problems that I may face related or unrelated to E-family Worldwide
6. The mentor will play by any additional rules that the E-family Worldwide team may introduce during the course of the program
For information or questions relating to E-Family Worldwide, please write to
Lara Mitra at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teacher Recommendation Form (for mentors)
In my opinion, (Name of Mentor) is responsible enough to comply with the rules of E-family Worldwide (listed below) and ensure that his/her participation remains fully consistent with the aim of E-family Worldwide at all times. He/she takes an interest in others, models good behaviors, shows enthusiasm for learning, and will make an excellent mentor and role model. I recommend him/her strongly and enthusiastically to be a mentor with E-family Worldwide.
Copyright © 2010 E-Family Worldwide. All rights reserved.